Computer Centre is central place for campus-wide networking and Wireless Internet connectivity across the Campus. Backbone connectivity initiates from Computer Centre and caters to more than 1000 nodes both physical and wireless connection across the campus. Computer Centre has two leased line 1Gbps NKN (National Knowledge network) Bandwidth and further distribute among to all Admin Block, Academic Block and Hostels. The existing university network has Fiber backbone whereby Admin block and Hostels are connected with the Computer Centre. Centre is equipped with Own Web Server, web application hosting, online student Examination server, Software license and Antivirus server. The Computer Centre has network infrastructure consisting routers, firewall, Unified threat management in built wireless controller (UTM), Manageable layer 2, and layer 3 switches. Centre has higher end server with configuration (server having four no’s of x86 64-bit processor Intel E5-4640 v2 with 256GB RAM with Gen 9) and 12 Blade servers with Gen 7. Computer Centre provides computational facilities to all users in the University. Students, staff and faculty from all schools, sections and center’s in the campus can obtain accounts to access internet. Computer Centre also provides various advanced and special purpose software’s (MATLAB, CAMBIO and ORIGIN) for campus users.
The Main Activities of these Centralized Computational Facilities
- Provide, update, manage and ensure the smooth operation of computational facilities for the students, staff and faculty.
- Provide technical assistance across campus.
- Monitoring of the computer network and the management of overall computer facilities for the whole University.
- Provides other technical support on time to time which centre receive from University Authority
- Development of Websites for various Departments
IT Infrastructure :
4 * Intel Xeon L5506 4 physical cores 16GB RAM HDD 150GB
4 * Intel Xeon X5670 6 physical cores 16GB RAM HDD 150GB
4 * Intel Xeon X5670 6 physical cores 16GB RAM HDD 300 GB
Total 511 Desktops
186 Desktops in Computer Centre
Software solutions such as GeneMapper®, SeqScape®, BioTrekker™, SigmaPlot® with Systat, PAWS, SPSS, Chem. Bio, Origin 8.1, etc. have been procured.
The university has excellent internet facility. 1Gbps NKN Link have already been installed.
Computer Centre staff:
- Dr. Amandeep Kaur, Computer Centre Incharge
- Er. Amandeep Singh Mann,System Analyst
- Mr.Yadwinder Singh,STA
- Mr.Davinder Singh,STA
- Mrs.Usha Sharma,TA
- Mr.Mandeep Singh,LA
Important rules while accessing Computer Centre:
- Mobile phones have to be in airplane/silent mode. Answering phone calls inside the lab is strictly prohibited.
- Eating/drinking inside the centre is strictly prohibited.
- Students need to log in the system by using username and password allotted to them. Contact Compute Centre Staff for log-in credentials..
- Accessing social network sites (Facebook, Google+, Orkut etc.) are strictly prohibited.
- Accessing pornography websites are strictly prohibited and it will lead to dismissal and legal actions.