Profile of the University
The Central University of Punjab, has been established in 2009 along with other new Central Universities by an Act of Parliament (No 25, of 2009). Central University of Punjab has completed a remarkable journey of 12 years. University is accredited ‘A’ grade in 2016 in first accreditation cycle by NAAC and has secured 95th, 87th and 84th rank in the year 2019, 2020 and 2021 respectively in the University category of NIRF. The university has a mission of providing a wide range of instructional and research facilities across integrated and cross-disciplines, promote innovation in teaching, learning and research, and cross-pollinate new ideas, new technologies and new world-views. It aims to create an ignited workforce responsive to regional, national and global needs in tune with the requirements of academia, industry and business.
It has 31 departments and 11 schools in Sciences, Technology, Education, Humanities, Social Sciences and Law disciplines. It offers PG and Ph.D. programmes in these disciplines. It started with the first batch of 10 students in 4 programmes in August 2009 and currently the University has 1709 masters, 407 doctoral and 40 international students. CBCS was introduced in 2015, a learning outcome-based curriculum in 2018 and NEP-2020 based curriculum was introduced from the academic session 2021.
The University envisions to transform the minds to serve the humanity through skills and innovation driven teaching and research; values and community outreach.
- University of Lille-Health and Law France
- King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi, Bangkok
- Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Menglun, Mengla, Yunnan Province, China
- Worchester University, United Kingdom
- National Agri-food Biotechnology Institution, Mohali
- Baba Farid Group of Institutions, Bathinda
- Punjab Remote Sensing Centre, P.A.U. Campus, Ludhiana
- Baba Farid Group of Institutions , Bathinda
- ICMR, Bhopal
- AIIMS Bathinda
- Innovation Technology Transfer Office (i-TTO)
- Pharmacoevidence Pvt Ltd Mohali
- Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology (SLIET), Longowal
- Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- SGPGI, Lucknow
- Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- Ministry of Education
- Maharaj Ranjit Singh Punjab Technical University, Bathinda
- HPCL-Mittal Foundation
International students will pay fees as applicable and announced in the admission brochure. For the current year fees for international students shall be as below:
Masters programmes in Humanities: US$ 1000 per annum
Masters programmes in Sciences: US$ 1200 per annum
Ph.D programmes: US$ 1400 per annum
- Hostel accommodation is not included in the above fees, but it will be same as for ICSSR sponsored students.
- Students from SAARC countries will be charged tuition and other fees same as for Indian students. For Fee Structure: Click Here
FACILITIES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
COMPUTER CENTRE : The University has a modern Computer Centre with around 160 units of parallel - connected and various latest configuration workstations with several research related softwares.
LIBRARY : The University Library has large number of titles and e-resourses. Library is fully air-conditioned and is located at a central place in the Academic Block.
STUDENT HOSTEL : The University has separate hostels for boys and girls with all modern facilities. The hostel mess serves fresh and hygienic food. The facilities provided in the hostels are: Wi-Fi, Bed, Study Table, Chair, Almirah, Water and Electricity supply, Housekeeping facility, Hygienic food, Common Room with TV facility.
HEALTH CARE CENTRE : Health Centre facility for treatment of general ailments, first aid and referral services is available. Medicines given from Health Centre are free of cost and emergency kits are provided at various places for First Aid.
TRANSPORT : University has buses for convenience of the faculty and students.
SPORTS : The University has good sports facilities. Badminton, table tennis, volleyball, Running track, Football Ground, Cricket Ground and Basketball Courts are available.
FITNESS CENTRE : Fitness Centre is operational in the University for ensuring a healthy mind in a healthy body. The Centre has all the requisite equipment required for physical training.
International students will be admitted directly against the 10% supernumerary seats at university level, without appearing in the Entrance Test. This will not be applicable to the programs such as M.Tech. M.Pharm, M.Ed., M.P.Ed. which are regulated by statutory bodies.
Students shall be admitted to Masters’ Degree & Doctoral Programmes under the following categories:
- ICCR Cultural Exchange Fellowship Programmes (Govt. of India): Candidates desirous of admission under this Fellowship Programme are required to apply through the Indian High Commission/Embassy as the case may be, in their respective countries. The admission offer letter will be sent to the candidate through Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), New Delhi.
- Study in India (SII): The Study in India program is a flagship project of Ministry of Education (MoE) to encourage international students to explore educational opportunities at top Indian universities.
- Embassy sponsored candidates: Candidates sponsored by the High Commissions/ Embassies of Foreign countries.
Students shall also be admitted to Masters’ Programmes under following category:
- Direct Applicants (Full Time Programme): International students, who wish to join under Self-financed category, are required to submit their application to International Students Division (ISD) of the university with all valid documents.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MASTER & Ph.D. PROGRAMMES
- The medium of instruction at CUPB is English. Applicants who have obtained a valid score IELTS or TOEFL score, will get preference. A student deficient in English will be asked to study language courses.
- A valid GRE/GMAT (for candidate applying to Food Business Management and Entrepreneurship Development department) score is not mandatory for admission. However, students with a valid GRE/GMAT score/grade will get preference.
- Applicants have to submit a personal statement of 300 words stating the reason(s) why she/he seeks admission to CUP and the purpose of study.
- All international students will require a ‘Student VISA’ endorsed to this institution for joining CUP programmes excepting OCI and PIO card holders.
- Any statutory clearances from MoE, Govt. of India, if required, shall be applicable.
PROGRAMMES BEING OFFERED AT CUP
Department of Applied Agriculture
- M.Sc. Food Science & Technology
- MBA (AgriBusiness)
- Ph.D. Agribusiness
- Ph.D. Food Science & Technology
Department of Botany
- M.Sc. Botany
- Ph.D. Botany
Department of Biochemistry
- M.Sc. Biochemistry
- Ph.D. Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Sc. Chemistry (Specialization: Applied Chemistry)
- Ph.D. Chemistry
Department of Computational Sciences
- M.Sc. Bioinformatics
- M.Sc. Chemistry (Theoretical & Computational Chemistry)
- M.Sc. Physics (Computational Physics)
- Ph.D. Computational Physics
- Ph.D. Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
- Ph.D. Bioinformatics
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- M.Sc. Statistics
- Ph.D. Mathematics
- Ph.D. Statistics
Department of Microbiology
- M.Sc. Microbiology
- Ph.D. Microbiology
Department of Physics
- M.Sc. Physics
- Ph.D. Physics
Department of Zoology
- M.Sc. Zoology
- Ph. D Zoology
Department of Education
- M.A Education
- Ph.D. Education
Department of Physcial Education
- Ph.D. Physical Education
Department of Computer Science and Technology
- M.Tech. Computer Science & Technology
- M.Tech. Computer Science & Technology(Cyber Security)
- Ph.D. Computer Science Technology
Department of Environmental Science and Technology
- M.Sc. Enviornmental Sciences & Technology
- Ph.D. Enviornmental Sciences & Technology
Department of Geography
- M.A. Geography
- M.Sc. Geography
- Ph.D. Geography
Department of Geology
- M.Sc. Geology
- Ph.D. Geology
Department of English
- M.A English
- Ph.D. English
Department of Hindi
- M.A Hindi
- Ph.D. Hindi
Department of Performing & Fine Arts
- Master of Arts (Painting)
- M.P.A. (Master of Performing Arts-Music-Vocal)
- M.P.A. (Master of Performing Arts-Theatre)
Department of Punjabi
- M.A. Punjabi
- Ph.D. Punjabi
Department of Economic Studies
- M.A Economics
- Ph.D. Economics
Department of History
- M.A History
- Ph.D. History
Department of Psychology
- M.A. Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology
Department of Sociology
- M.A. Sociology
- Ph.D. Sociology
Department of Human Genetics and Molecular Medicine
- M.Sc. Human Genetics
- M.Sc. Molecular Medicine
- Ph.D. Molecular Medicine
- Ph.D. Human Genetics
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Natural Products
- M. Pharm. Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- M. Pharm. Pharmacognosy
- M.Sc. Chemical Sciences (Specialization in Medicinal Chemistry)
- Ph.D. Medicinal Chemistry
- Ph.D. Pharmaceutical Sciences
Department of Pharmacology
- M. Pharm. Pharmacology
- Ph.D. Pharmacology
Department of Financial Administration
- Ph.D. Commerce
Department of Law
- Ph.D. Law
Department of South and Central Asian Studies
- M.A. Political Science
- M.A. Politics (With Specialization in International Relations)
- Ph.D. Political Science
Department of Library and Information Sciences
- Master of Library and Information Science
- Ph.D. Library & Information Science
Department of Mass Communication and Media Studies
- M.A. Journalism & Mass Communication
- Ph.D. Mass Communication & Media Studies
* The university reserves the right not to offer the programme in any particular discipline due to administrative reasons or if the response to the course is not adequate. The decision of the university will be final in this regard.
* The university reserves the right to change the number of seats in any programme.
The university reserves the right not to offer the programme in any particular discipline due to administrative reasons or if the response to the course is not adequate. The decision of the university will be final in this regard. * The university reserves the right to change the number of seats in any programme.
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL STUDENT DIVISION
The university aspires for innovation and excellence and producing finest human beings for nurturing global societies by shaping highest quality scientific minds engaged in eternal quest for infinite knowledge and solving problems of mankind. The university has vibrant culture to integrate world class higher education to create knowledge and develop skills relevant to global needs. The International Student Division was established to meet its objectives of collaboration, coordination, cooperation and competition and to emphasis on attracting international students. ISD assists international students in overcoming life changing experiences of living and learning in India and facing other cultural/academic challenges. The International Students Division (ISD) is single point of contact for the international students for their convenience and quick access.
- To develop and implement various programmes that support international student’s academic, social, cultural, emotional, and spiritual success.
- To coordinate different activities such as students and faculty exchange programmes , visits abroad, and academic collaborations with international organizations.
- To promote relationships between foreign universities, institutions with CUP.
- To invite outstanding scientists/academicians for interactions, exchange of ideas and creation of knowledge.
- To partner with globally well-known universities and research institutes to enhance collaborative research.
- To promote exchange programmes for students through Student Exchange Agreements with partner institutions for development of friendship and exchange of cultures.
- To develop interface with embassies and consulates of various countries to increase educational and cultural linkages between organizations of foreign countries and the University.
- To facilitate the international students for a smooth tenure during their stay in the university.
Eligibility qualification for admission to any Master programme will be the same as for Indian nationals seeking admission to CUP in that programme.
Masters’ degree in concerned discipline. Detailed programme- wise requirements are same as for Indian nationals.
EQUIVALENCE OF FOREIGN DEGREE FOR ELIGIBILITY
The qualifications required for admission to different programmes in CUP will be included in admission brochure. Only those students who have qualified from foreign universities recognized as equivalent by the ‘Association of Indian Universities’ (AIU) are eligible for admission.